Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tuesday's Recipe of the Week... Homemade Pizza

Homemade Pizza is the "how to" for today:) I can't decide if this picture is pleasing or not??? Taking pictures of food is hard... I've even googled and researched taking photos of food. The angle definitely counts and natural light is best... which I don't exactly have at meal time... well except breakfast and uhm... I'm not ready to start thinking in the AM, so taking pictures of supper dishes isn't exactly gonna happen. Okay...so on with the recipeFirst combine 4 cups of flour with 2tsp of sugar and 2tsp salt: at the same time sprinkle 3tsp of yeast over 2 cups of very warm water (110-115 degrees); this needs to sit for 5 minutes if you want... use a mixer (mixing by hand works well too) and add 4 tbsp of olive oil to the dry mix, mix well. Then slowly mix and add the yeast/water. The mix should be pretty sticky but combined and uniform. Cover with plastic and let it rise for several hours. I like to make this in the morning and then let it rise and then place in the refrigerator until 30 minutes before needing it. You can make a day or two ahead as well. Combine 1 small diced onion and 1 pound hamburger and 1 pound sausage...brown these and use salt and pepper sparingly.
When the meat is almost ready, prepare the crust and sauce... I use the Pampered Chef's medium sheet pans (I also sell this stuff) but any pan will do... lightly oil your pan... the picture below has far too much olive oil on both pans
Split the dough in half and press into the pan with your fingers... lightly flour the dough prior to pressing into the pans...no rolling pin necessary. Place these into a 350 degree oven for 6 minutes.
While the crust is baking... make the secret weapon... the sauce
Combine 1 can of tomato sauce (14.5oz) 1.5tsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, and 2.5 tsp Pampered Chef Italian Seasoning (did I mention I sell Pampered Chef:) I mix everything right in the can...
Cover both slightly cooked crusts with 1/2 can sauce each
cover each pizza with half of the meat combo... I prefer to use the empty tomato sauce can and drain the meat heavily... pork is really fatty and so I drain as much as possible (as a nurse I must emphasize this step... lol... and then add butter haha j/k)
cover each pizza with 2 cups shredded mozzarella or cheese of your choice

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until the cheese begins to brown slightly.

Great pizza and sooooo filling!


Recipe

Crust -4cups flour -2tsp sugar -2tsp salt -4tbsp olive oil -2 cups water -3tsp active dry yeast

Sauce: -1 can (14.5 oz) tomato sauce -1.5 tsp salt -2 tbsp sugar -2.5 tsp Pampered Chef Italian Seasoning (or some form of Italian seasoning) *I also use the Pillsbury Pizza Crusts from a tube and find they are hard to beat, especially if I don't plan ahead for the yeast rising process... definitely try both!



1 comment:

Terry said...

I could eat pizza everyday and yours looks delicious! Please stop over and join my weekly linky party going on right now!